Unicode - Bengali

From: Arijit Upadhyay (arijit@ganashakti.co.in)
Date: Sun Apr 14 2002 - 01:19:28 EDT

I chanced on visit this site - http://www.akshor.com, nicely, designed,
'good quality' - hacked bengali fonts but seeingly a very personal way in
dealing with Unicode -Bengali. I found some comments which did not go with
my understanding of unicode, such as unicode's responsibility to assign
spaces fo conjunct and variant characters. Would somebody please give some
comments on these so that proper ideas & facts are known.

1) --"Unicode is the only way of globalization. This is true of Bengali, as
well. Bengali is added in Unicode release 2.0 by Unicode Consortium for the
process of internationalization. But only our (Bengali) base characters are
added in this release. All of combined characters are missing here."

--"Current Unicode standard must be corrected and all necessary combined
characters must be assigned-added in Unicode. Otherwise this (current
Unicode standard of Bengali) is useless to us. We hope Unicode Consortium
will look into this mater and add all necessary (combined) characters and
symbols in the next earlier release. It will be highly appreciated if they
finished this job respectively."

- http://www.akshor.com/project1.html

2) -- "Unicode Consortium assigned 0980-09FF for Bengali (see previous
page). But this is not enough to saperate all our characters. Thats why we
used the Private Used Area (E100-E4FF) of Unicode for our project to assign
& saperate all our characters (excluded in UCS) including extended
characters/glyps and symbols. "

- http://www.akshor.com/project2.html

regards
Arijit Upadhyay