Re: Digraphs as Distinct Logical Units

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Mon Aug 05 2002 - 12:01:18 EDT

William Overington <WOverington at ngo dot globalnet dot co dot uk>
wrote:

> Hopefully the Unicode Consortium will treat any advanced font format
> produced by anyone on an even-handed basis with advanced font formats
> produced by any other person or entity or collection of entities.

I agree with this, in the sense that the Unicode Consortium should not
orient any of its recommendations of requirements toward *any*
particular font format.

Proper rendering of certain parts of Unicode requires advanced rendering
capabilities, some of which are the responsibility of the font. This is
perfectly reasonable. However, any rendering subsystem with those
capabilities should be acceptable. Nothing should require OpenType
specifically or Graphite specifically. No requirements should be cast
in terms of what any vendor's product does (although, of course,
examples are fine).

See, William, we found something we can agree on!

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California