Re: A new word for the English language

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Mon Aug 05 2002 - 15:54:27 EDT

[WO]

> holomap Verb, transitive. To provide, in relation to a glyph within a font
> used in a computer system where such glyph is included in the font so as to
> be accessed by a font table substitution route, a direct code point access
> route to the glyph.
>
> Word coined by William Overington on 31 July 2002

[PC]

> We don't need a new word coined for this purpose. Those of us involved
> in font development and the digital font industry have managed fine
> without it thus far; I don't think any of us have developed any sudden
> urge for a new way to express ourselves in technical discussions. And
> if we did, I doubt "holomap" is what any of us would choose.

[tex]

> Simply throwing out terms and definitions, without establishing a need
> and ignoring existing industry terms, seems to be a self-inflating and
> glory-seeking action, rather than a desire to make a helpful
> contribution. I mention this not as an attack, just to make you aware of
> the potential perception.

[WO]

> Why you consider that this could be seen to be a self-inflating and
> glory-seeking action simply amazes me. Coining a new word for an existing
> situation simply solves a small problem in expressing concepts clearly. How
> can that be self-inflating and what glory is there to be sought for doing
> that?

It was:
  A. The subject line of the email.
  B. The presumption that merely coining the word and spreading it
     to the masses was an important thing to do, without checking first
     with the experts on fonts whether such terminology was needed or useful.
  C. Appending a signed, dated claim, like a patent application.

Also, a word coiner might check to see if there is prior practice -- which
in this case is easy. Google gives 662 hits on "holomap", many used in
senses related to hologram (often by Trekkies). But holomap also means "a map
of the entire" (e.g. map of an entire realm, world, etc.). For an actual
graphic example, see:

http://members.tripod.com/Silverfish_2/time.htm

The term actually has a great deal of usage in the software gaming industry.

verbinnovator n: One given to introducing words as if they were new, or
providing new meanings to existing words, often without knowledge that
such words or meanings are already in use.

Word coined by Kenneth Whistler on 5 August 2002

[And yes, I've checked: Google 0 hits]

--Ken