Re: Tildes on vowels

From: David Possin (dave_i18n@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Aug 08 2002 - 11:43:16 EDT

Your mystery character displays in Unipad, but I am not sure if it is
the correct one:
U+2071 Superscript Latin Small Letter I

It doesn't display when using Arial Unicode MS in Word or IE browser.
But is 'I' the correct character? Shouldn't it be 'E'? I can't find a
dedicated Unicode character for Superscript Latin Small Letter E
though, so we are back to markup on this one.

In German it was common to use a macron over m and n to show mm and nn,
I saw it being written this way up to the 1970's. But I never saw it
used for any other double letters.

Dave

--- Frank da Cruz <fdc@watsol.cc.columbia.edu> wrote:
> Andrew West wrote:
>
> > And in other European languages, a tilde above a vowel was a common
> > abbreviation for vowel plus "n" or "m".
> >
> Similarly for English. Old manuscripts often put a macron over a
> vowel
> to show it was followed by "n" or "m". They also have some other
> quirks
> like using y for thorn (even in handwriting) and various
> superscripts.
> Thus "Þe" ("The") might be written "Yⁱ".
>
> (And if your Unicode font displayed that last one correctly it is
> definitely
> au courant :-)
>
> - Frank

=====