Re: Taboo Variants

From: Andrew C. West (andrewcwest@alumni.princeton.edu)
Date: Fri Aug 09 2002 - 14:25:56 EDT

John Cowan wrote:

> Blocks exist to keep things simple for allocators (i.e. UTC and WG2), and
> not to allow end-users to make deductions about them; all such deductions
> are quite illegitimate. (If this isn't actually written down anywhere,
> it should be.)

Surely assigning a character to a block with other like-minded characters IS keeping things simple
for allocators, and randomly assigning miscellaneous characters all other the place makes it as
confusing to allocators as to end-users. Surely that's the whole point of having designated block
names.

It sounds to me that what you're suggesting is that characters should be allocated sequentially from
U+0000 up, with no gaps. Would that not be the most simple solution for allocators !?

After all, as long as the end-user sees the glyph that their expecting, they don't care what code
point it's mapped to (indeed, as you imply, code points should be invisible to the end-user).

Andrew C. West
<http://uk.geocities.com/babelstone1357/>