Re: pronunciation u+6784 ?!

From: John Jenkins (jenkins@apple.com)
Date: Sat Aug 24 2002 - 11:30:58 EDT

On Friday, August 23, 2002, at 07:21 PM, Thomas Chan wrote:

> For such reasons, I don't use such data from the unihan.txt file
> except as
> a starting point, but use the various dictionary page/index pointers to
> look them up--although expensive and time-consuming it'd be.

Thomas is, as always, the voice of reason. The readings (and
definitions) really aren't intended for professional-grade products.
It's the piecemeal accumulation of data from multiple sources entered
by two or three people. While we make every effort to be accurate, we
simply don't have the resources to guarantee it. (It basically says
the same thing in the header to Unihan.txt.) The data is suitable for
initial analyses, personal or informal use, and even freeware. But,
for all the reasons Thomas enumerates, there are still problems left.

Generating an authoritative set of readings for all of Unihan would be
a massive task. Graduate students in need of a dissertation topic feel
free to apply. :-)

John H. Jenkins
jenkins@apple.com
jhjenkins@mac.com