Re: Unifont Re: Everson Mono

From: Juliusz Chroboczek (jec@dcs.ed.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Aug 28 2002 - 11:35:37 EDT

S> The people working on XFree86 have plans to convert the BDF's and
S> PCF's that come with X to TTF fonts with one blank scalable glyph
S> and the actual data stored in a bitmap data in the font. (It's actually
S> a better format for the problem in many ways. Go figure.) I don't
S> know if Microsoft Windows will like such a font, though.

That's my cue.

For your greatest crashing pleasure, I've made some bitmap-only TTF
from the GNU Unifont using an early alpha of the conversion tool that
might end up being used by XFree86.

THESE FONTS ARE PROBABLY NOT VALID TTF FONTS. THEY WILL DO BAD
THINGS. THEY WILL CAUSE YOUR WIFE TO RUN AWAY. YOUR HUSBAND TO
DRINK. YOUR DAUGHTER WILL SEARCH EMPLOYMENT WITH MICROSOFT. YOUR SON
WILL THINK THAT APPLE'S IMPLEMENTATION OF UNICODE IS A GOOD IDEA.

I WILL NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY OF THE CONSEQUENCES.

However, if you are courageous enough to try them out, I've put an
archive of the generated TTFs on

  http://www.pps.jussieu.fr/~jch/private/unifont-ttf.zip

Please note that this is 1.7 megabytes (three versions of the font) so
do not download them unless you actually intend to try them out. They
will disappear in a couple of days.

Please drop me a note with your results.

Regards,

                                        Juliusz