Re: Romanized Cyrillic bibliographic data--viable fonts?)

From: Michael \(michka\) Kaplan (michka@trigeminal.com)
Date: Fri Aug 30 2002 - 14:14:49 EDT

From: "Michael Everson" <everson@evertype.com>

> Only because so few people think that fonts are worth paying for that
> people who really OUGHT to be earning their living by making fonts
> have to do other things. There's something really wrong with that
> model. Isn't there?

Of course, one could also perhaps see that there is a benefit that the
traditional font foundries and consumers bring to the mix -- not being open
source, companies like Agfa Monotype are able to license lots of
professional fonts to companies like Microsoft that then put them into a lot
of products.

It seems that open source fonts are being made for different reasons than
earning a living. You might want to charge for yours. Now I am not getting
into an "open source" battle here (and will duck out if anyone wants that
sort of conversation!) -- its just if the question is "who is gonna pay for
it?" then you perhaps need to choose a model that allows people to charge
money? ;-)

MichKa