RE: MS Windows and Unicode 4.0 ?

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Wed Dec 03 2003 - 08:01:37 EST

    Michael Everson
    > Please stop discussing font design, Philippe, if you wish to
    > avoid offence.

    Sorry, I did not intend this message to be addressed at you, as you are
    certainly a responctable typographer, and even if I know that you designed
    the LastResort font glyphs for Apple. (Is this font only available for Mac
    and shipped licensed with Mac OS?). And was not a personnal offence against
    someone.

    Well, I don't know if the LastResort font can be used on other systems like
    Windows, the same way as on the Mac as a last resort font for missing
    glyphs, as I did not see where in Windows one could specify a ordered stack
    of prefered fonts for a particular script, as the current Windows/IE GUI
    only allows specifying 1 font per script.

    My opinion is that Windows (and even MacOSX or other GUIs) could be even
    more user-friendly, by allowing creating such stack of preferred fonts per
    script, or at least a single ordered stack of fonts for characters not found
    in the unique font specified for each script, this stack acting as the
    equivalent of a "LastResort" virtual font.

    << ella for Spam Control >> has removed Spam messages and set aside
    Newsletters for me
    You can use it too - and it's FREE! http://www.ellaforspam.com