Re: MS Windows and Unicode 4.0 ?

From: John Jenkins (jenkins@apple.com)
Date: Wed Dec 03 2003 - 10:55:52 EST

    On Dec 3, 2003, at 3:53 AM, Michael Everson wrote:

    > At 01:44 +0100 2003-12-03, Philippe Verdy wrote:
    >>
    >> Using the official Unicode script name in English is not a problem.
    >> But a OS vendor could as well choose to translate these names in
    >> localized versions of this font if the OS itself is translated.
    >
    > At some expense. You are welcome to lobby Apple to commission a
    > localized French version of the Last Resort Font.

    Noting, BTW, that localizing the LR font for each of the scripts for
    which the OS itself is localized is (a) very expensive, and (b) of
    *really* marginal utility.

    Personally, I'd rather pressure Apple's management to pay Michael for
    new fonts for additional scripts than to pay him to draw new localized
    versions of the LR font.

    ========
    John H. Jenkins
    jenkins@apple.com