Re: LAO LETTER FO SUNG and LAO LETTER FO TAM

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Sat Oct 22 2005 - 17:31:39 CST

    From: "Richard Wordingham" <richard.wordingham@ntlworld.com>
    > There is a character property that distinguishes the two fo's - the high
    > v. low (v. middle) classification of consonants in most Tai languages and
    > the corresponding register differences in Khmer, Mon and Cham. It is
    > potentially language-sensitive. However, I can't persuade myself that
    > Unicode should record this classification.

    There's nothing bad in adding more properties to characters, this is the job
    of Unicode not the job of ISO, even if those properties only apply to a
    specific script. There are precedents in Unicode itself for Arabic and
    Hangul (joining types). I don't say that these properties have to be
    normative (for conformance levels), but that informative properties are good
    as well (there are many in the Unicode standard).