Re: six-points as a new character ? esoteric symbolism

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Wed Nov 15 2006 - 14:41:02 CST

    Vaissermann Romain wrote:

    > So, I have a question : has someone heard about the inclusion of the
    > six-points used by martinists as a new character in the Unicode
    > Standard ?

    As far as I know it has not yet been proposed.

    > If possible, that would be similar to a character THEREFORE (U+2234) -
    > which in fact is too the masonic three-dots (the Martinists are often
    > Free-Masons) - "on" the character BECAUSE (U + 2235).
    >
    > The six-points forms a regular hexagon that today the martinists are
    > making with an image inserted in their documents, which is long and
    > constraining. Any martinists used solutions of replacement : for
    > example
    >
    > SI (without any points)
    > or S::: I::: (with six points but without hexagon)
    > or S.::. I.::. (the same)
    >
    > This symbol probably dates from the beginning of the XVIII-th century.
    > One finds it written in many books.

    It seems to me that it would be appropriate for encoding as a symbol
    in the Unicode Standard.

    It would help in the discussion if you could make and post
    someplace accessible a few pdf files showing the symbol
    used in context. The wikipedia site doesn't show any examples,
    but I was able to locate at least one document illustrating
    the usage in the "virtual museum" at:

    http://www.martinisme.org/

    See the 7th example, the "Lettre de nomination de Philippe Encausse..."
    where the symbol can be seen a number of times printed in the
    letterhead area.

    Clearer examples would be helpful, and in any case a successful
    proposal would need to provide such examples to support the
    case for encoding this symbol in the Unicode Standard.

    --Ken