Re: GR and letter case Was: Gwoyeu Romatzyh marking the optional neutral tone

From: Charlie Ruland (ruland@luckymail.com)
Date: Tue Jul 14 2009 - 15:52:31 CDT

    Kenneth Whistler wrote:
    > ... (which isn't even a regular part of the Gwoyeu Romatzyh
    > romanization which sees any wide use -- because it isn't
    > a direct indication of pronunciation, but rather an editorial
    > shorthand for saying that an alternative pronunciation with
    > the tone neutralized also occurs) ...
    That’s right, it’s not an integral, regular part of Gwoyeu Romatzyh (GR)
    romanization.

    I used GR for years and never missed a character for optional tone
    neutralization (OTN), which at that time I didn’t know to exist. When I
    exceptionally wanted to express OTN, I simply bracketed the full stop
    and wrote something like “jy₍.₎daw” or “jy(.)daw”.

    Regards,
    Charlie

    --
    Charlie • 查理 • चार्ली • Чарли • تشارلي