Re: Japanese font that includes Italics

From: Yasuo Kida (kida@apple.com)
Date: Wed Aug 12 2009 - 19:49:33 CDT

    > Hiragino Kaku Gothic Pro and Hiragino Mincho Pro were supplied with
    > Mac OS X 10.2 and have both W3 and W6 styles.
    > Sorry, but I don't have information about more recent versions, or
    > what the styles look like.

    Here are details of Hiragino fonts bundled with Mac OS X:

    Hiragino Kaku Gothic is a sans serif typeface (like Helvetica) and has
    the following three weights:
    Hiragino Kaku Gothic ProN W3 (Regular)
    Hiragino Kaku Gothic ProN W6 (Bold)
    Hiragino Kaku Gothic StdN W8 (Extra Bold)

    Hiragino Mincho is a serif typeface (like Times) and has the following
    two weights:
    Hiragino Mincho ProN W3 (Regular)
    Hiragino Mincho ProN W6 (Bold)

    Hiragino Maru Gothic is a sans serif typeface with rounded stroke
    edge. One weight "Hiragino Maru Gothic ProN W4". This typeface a bit
    more casual compared to the first two.

    Hiragino Sans GB is a Simplified Chinese font. The style is compatible
    with Hiragino Kaku Gothic (sans serif). It covers GB18030-2000 and
    Adobe-GB1-4. The font is Chinese government approved. This is new in
    SnowLeopard 10.6.
    Hiragino Sans GB W3 (Regular)
    Hiragino Sans GB W6 (Bold)

    Deciphering Hiragino font names:
    "Pro" in the name means the font covers JIS X 0213 and Adobe-Japan1-5
    glyph collection. They cover rare Kanjis. "Std" means it covers the
    basic character set, JIS X 0208 and Adobe-Japan1-3. The Pro/Std
    distinction might be similar to fonts with standard and extended
    Latin. "N" attached to Pro or Std means it confirms to new glyph
    shapes suggested by 2004 version of JIS X 0213. Mac OS X 10.4 and
    earlier has fonts without the "N". Mac OS X 10.5 or later has both
    with and without the "N". "W" followed by a number designates the
    weight with scale from 1 to 9. Mac OS X bundles most commonly used
    weights.

    - kida