Re: North Indic Fractions etc.

From: Kent Karlsson (kent.karlsson14@telia.com)
Date: Tue Jun 07 2011 - 02:48:38 CDT

    Den 2011-06-07 03:16, skrev "fantasai" <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>:

    > On 06/06/2011 07:57 PM, Shriramana Sharma wrote:
    >> On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 1:20 PM, fantasai<fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
    >> wrote:
    >>> Is there a reason why the North Indic fractions and Aegean numbers and
    >>> measures
    >>> are not assigned to any scripts in the ScriptExtensions.txt file?
    >>>
    >>> I don't really know what list of scripts they should belong to, but they
    >>> don't
    >>> seem very "Common".
    >>
    >> I don't know about Aegean but North Indic fractions are used in
    >> multiple North Indian scripts including Devanagari. Please read:
    >> http://std.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc2/wg2/docs/n3367.pdf (from
    >> http://www-personal.umich.edu/~pandey/)
    >>
    >> And perhaps you misunderstand the meaning of "common" -- it doesn't
    >> mean they are common in usage. It means that they are common to more
    >> than one script, whether in frequent use or rare use.
    >
    > Right, but the ones that are common to an enumerated set of scripts
    > are listed in ScriptExtensions.txt. But these are not. If they are
    > only used in North Indian scripts, then they should be listed in
    > ScriptExtensions.txt as associated with those scripts.

    I would agree... So looking at
    http://std.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc2/wg2/docs/n3367.pdf, I find:
    "The characters were used with the Devanagari, Gujarati, Gurmukhi, Kaithi,
    Landa, Mahajani, Maithili, Modi, and Takri scripts, as well as with various
    commercial short-hands and minor regional scripts."

    Skipping the unspecific part ("various commercial short-hands and minor
    regional scripts"), that leaves:

    Devanagari: Deva
    Gujarati: Gujr
    Gurmukhi: Guru
    Kaithi: Kthi
    Landa: ????
    Mahajani: ????
    Maithili: ????
    Modi: ????
    Takri: Takr

    For four of those I could not find script codes (not coded, or to me unknown
    alternate names).

    That leaves Deva Gujr Guru Kthi Takr, with the maintenance problem that this
    may need to be extended in the future.

    So, as far as I can see, these lines should be added to ScriptExtensions.txt
    for "NORTH INDIC..." characters:

    A830..A835 ; Deva Gujr Guru Kthi Takr # No [6] NORTH INDIC FRACTION
       ONE QUARTER..NORTH INDIC FRACTION THREE SIXTEENTHS
    A836..A837 ; Deva Gujr Guru Kthi Takr # So [2] NORTH INDIC QUARTER
       MARK..NORTH INDIC PLACEHOLDER MARK
    A838 ; Deva Gujr Guru Kthi Takr # Sc NORTH INDIC RUPEE MARK
    A839 ; Deva Gujr Guru Kthi Takr # So NORTH INDIC QUANTITY
       MARK

        /Kent K