Re: Proposal to add standardized variation sequences for chess notation

From: Michael Everson <everson_at_evertype.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2017 22:33:53 +0100

On 3 Apr 2017, at 18:51, Markus Scherer <markus.icu_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> It seems to me that higher-level layout (e.g, HTML+CSS) is appropriate for the board layout (e.g., via a table), board frame style, and cell/field shading. In each field, the existing characters should suffice.

That isn’t plain text.

This is plain text:
▗▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▖

I can read this in my plain-text e-mail. I can copy it from the plain-text e-mail and past it into Quark XPress as in the proposal, or into Microsoft Word v. 15 for Mac as shown below (the first one is just as-is pasted into Word; the second formatted itself when I selected the Ludus font. None of these examples uses HTML. None uses some external folder with hard-to-format css rules. None needs to be constructed by some HTML or XML <table> matrix. It’s all just a font with normal OpenType features, and normal use of variation sequences.