Re: Proposal to add standardized variation sequences for chess notation

From: Michael Everson <everson_at_evertype.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2017 14:59:17 +0100

On 8 Apr 2017, at 14:50, Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr> wrote:

>>> May be they use fonts,
>>
>> There is no maybe about it.
>
> There REALLY IS a "maybe", because this is not required at all, and most chess applications do not use any "font" (most of them display bitmap icons, or custom 2D/3D graphics)

The proposal is not based on the practice of chess game applications. The proposal deals with the problem of typesetting chess diagrams. This is a publishing function.

>>> And SVG glyphs are easier to integrate in derived documents.
>>
>> Nonsense.
>
> Non sense reply !!! Custom fonts

What? Fonts. You know. Fonts. Truetype with OpenType tables for glyph substition. This is nothing special. This is bog-standard.

> are hard to integrate as they depend on renderers (which most applications don't want to support directly, they are part of a browser or OS). And OpenType fonts are much less flexible for what applications want to do. SVG allows much easier variations and effects. There are tons of tools or stylesheets for that, which will not work on glyphs in OpenType fonts.

This has nothing to do with the proposal.

>> We’re not proposing to “implement a game”.
>
> You were yourself speaking about applications, me too, not just a "game".

No, I wasn’t.

Michael Everson