Re: IDC's versus Egyptian format controls

From: Martin J. Dürst via Unicode <unicode_at_unicode.org>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2018 16:01:33 +0900

On 2018/02/17 08:25, James Kass via Unicode wrote:

> Some people studying Han characters use the IDCs to illustrate the
> ideographs and their components for various purposes.

Well, as far as I understand, this was their original (and is still
their main) purpose.

> For example:
>
> U-0002A8B8 𪢸 ⿰土土
> U-0002A8B9 𪢹 ⿰土凡
> U-0002A8BA 𪢺 ⿱夂土
> U-0002A8BB 𪢻 ⿰土亡
> U-0002A8BC 𪢼 ⿰土无
> U-0002A8BD 𪢽 ⿰土冇
> U-0002A8BE 𪢾 ⿰土攴
> U-0002A8BF 𪢿 ⿰土月
> U-0002A8C0 𪣀 ⿰土化
> U-0002A8C1 𪣁 ⿰土丰

Is it only me or did you get some of this data wrong?

For me, it looks definitely like
U-0002A8BC 𪢼 ⿰土化
rather than U-0002A8BC 𪢼 ⿰土无,
and U-0002A8BF 𪢿 ⿰土水
rather than U-0002A8BF 𪢿 ⿰土月,
and changes seem to be needed for all the others, too. (The descriptions
seem to be four lines later than the characters where they actually belong.)

> It would be probably be disconcerting if the display of those
> sequences changed into their respective characters overnight.

Yes indeed.

Regards, Martin.