RE: Latin 1 Western-Eurocentric?

From: Addison Phillips (AddisonP@simultrans.com)
Date: Thu Aug 27 1998 - 20:07:23 EDT

Well, shucks, I didn't *mean* to say that IME95 was "brain-dead", but
Build 1758 contained an IME that didn't work out of the box. Typical
beta problems: you have to tweak it for awhile to make it work. On the
other hand, once you get it working it's pretty good, at least for
Japanese. We've been able to demo a lot of nifty Unicode stuff using
NT5. Haven't tried the new Beta2 yet, but a friend said that most of the
problems are fixed, so: "Thank you, Microsoft!"

Addison

        Addison Phillips
        Director, Technology
        SimulTrans, L.L.C.
        2606 Bayshore Parkway
        Mountain View, California 94043 USA

        +1 650-526-4652 (direct telephone)
        +1 650-969-9959 (fax)
        +1 650-317-0512 (pager)
        AddisonP@simultrans.com (Internet email)
        http://www.simultrans.com (website)

        "22 languages. One release date."

---
Not only are those IMEs in NT5 not going away, NT5 Beta 2 includes the
latest versions of them all, so they are no longer <brain-dead> to quote
=
the
gentleman.

If you don't have access to NT5, you can also try http://www.microsoft.com/ie/ie40/ime.htm

This installs a modified version of the original (brain-dead) Win95 Japan= ese IME95 (and other languages) on any version of Win9x or NT4. It works only= in Internet Explorer4, Outlook Express and Outlook98 HTML mail for now, but more applications will support it over time, such as Word2000. Since it i= s supported directly by mshtml.dll, if you are creating a custom HTML editi= ng application using the Interent Explorer software developers kit I believe you pick up this support for free, but don't quote me.

Regarding the last letter of Alain's name, another way to enter it in several apps is to type Ctrl + singlequote, then e.

You can use AutoCorrect in any Office app and AutoText in Word to do what Glen is describing. Simply type in an abbreviation of the full text you w= ant entered, and add it plus the full text to your AutoCorrect list. Word's AutoText is fancier, since you can put entire chunks of Word documents in the AutoText list. Of course, it would be great if you could do this system-wide. Sounds like a great opportunity for third-party developers t= o create such a utility.

Cheers, Chris Pratley Lead Program Manager Microsoft Word

-----Original Message----- From: Addison Phillips [mailto:AddisonP@simultrans.com] Sent: Wednesday, August 26, 1998 6:09 PM To: Unicode List Subject: RE: Latin 1 Western-Eurocentric?

NT 5.0 (at least the most recent beta that we have) contains a full IME system running on the "English" version. There is an early, brain-dead, Japanese IME for it. Microsoft has promised in public for some time that this feature is not going away, but is *for real* and will contain keyboard drivers and IMEs installable for at least the 22 Microsoft supported languages (and the many more associated locales).

In the meantime, I use a product called Accent Composer, which is very similar to the ancient DEC compose utility. You can find it here: http://www.kovcomp.co.uk/. A *very* useful tool for I18N/L10N folks...