Re: Terminal Graphics Draft 2

From: Otto Stolz (
Date: Fri Oct 09 1998 - 19:19:44 EDT

Am 1998-10-8 um 12:19 hat John Cowan geschrieben:
> A typical (though not the only)
> glyph for U+2424 is the one which appears on the Enter key of PC
> keyboards.

Please describe.

On my keyboards (both PC and X-Terminal), the Enter key has the word
"Enter" engraved, whilst the Return key has a U+21B2 Downwards Arrow
with Tip Leftwards (or is it a glyph variant of U+21B5?).

If I remember correctly, my 3270 terminal had the similar engravings
on these keys, viz. "DatFreig" (Datenfreigabe = German translation of
"Enter"), and U+21B5, respectively. Cf. figure 3-1 in IBM form GA27-2837-8
"IBM 3270 Information Display System Character Set Reference".

Btw., the semantics of these 3270 keys were quite different: the Enter
key sends data to zhe host, whilst the Return key is just a local cursor
movement without sending anything.

Best wishes,
   Otto Stolz

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.2 : Tue Jul 10 2001 - 17:20:42 EDT