Re: Dependent vowels

From: Mark Leisher (mleisher@crl.nmsu.edu)
Date: Fri Oct 30 1998 - 14:47:09 EST

    Kamal> Although dependent and independent vowels represent the same vowel
    Kamal> sounds, they play rather different morphemic roles. As the name
    Kamal> implies, independent vowels can stand alone as self-sufficient
    Kamal> syllables, while dependent vowels serve as the second half of a
    Kamal> syllable (akshara). If both the dependent and independent forms of
    Kamal> a particular vowel were marked by a sole symbol in all cases, you
    Kamal> would need to do rather complex linguistic analysis to determine
    Kamal> which form to render.

    Kamal> Searching for both 'a' and 'A' in a string is a bit more costly
    Kamal> than searching for only one of them, but it's a small price to pay
    Kamal> for simplicity's sake.

Thanks. I guess I just haven't seen enough samples to note the ambiguous
cases. Time to look some more.
Mark Leisher
Computing Research Lab Here is to a good rule of thumb:
New Mexico State University Too clever can be dumb.
Box 30001, Dept. 3CRL -- Ogden Nash
Las Cruces, NM 88003