FW: Unicode in multi-lingual databases

From: Magda Danish (Unicode) (v-magdad@microsoft.com)
Date: Wed Apr 05 2000 - 13:59:33 EDT

-----Original Message-----
From: Liz Robertson [mailto:liz@robertsonlanguages.co.uk]
Sent: Wednesday, April 05, 2000 4:46 AM
To: info@unicode.org
Subject: Unicode in multi-lingual databases

I don't know if you can help me, but I would be so grateful if you can
either advise or point me in the right direction for advice. We are
intending to set up a multi-lingual website built on a database, but
have just discovered that the database (MySQL, Linux) does not support
Unicode. We were assuming that it would be neccessary to support Unicode
so that email or forms submitted from the site would be correct on
arrival at the host. But I have also been told that Unicode would not be
necessary to do this as there are "workarounds". Can you give me a
definite answer to this problem so that we know whether to purchase a
different database?

Thanks for your help

Elizabeth Robertson
liz@robertsonlanguages.co.uk