Re: SCSU implementations

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@compuserve.com)
Date: Sun Apr 09 2000 - 00:03:03 EDT

Juliusz Chroboczek <jec@dcs.ed.ac.uk> asked a very good question:

> DE> I'm looking for any references to encoders for the Standard
> DE> Compression Scheme for Unicode (SCSU), *other* than the Java
> DE> implementation on the Unicode FTP site.
>
> Out of curiosity: what are you using the SCSU for?

Well, not much really. I had just written a decoder (OK, I partly wrote
it and partly stole from Roman's) and wanted to write an encoder. These
two projects were undertaken largely for the experience of having done
so, kind of like climbing a mountain just because it's there.

I also just wanted to see some "real" SCSU code other than the examples
in the TR.

Since I posted the original message and got some responses, I did write
the encoder. It doesn't use static windows at all (except for SQ0 to
escape control codes) and so the compression for Example 3 in the TR
isn't as good as that illustrated, but it's not too shabby.

More info from anyone about SCSU is definitely welcome (off the list if
necessary), since I'm much more interested in SCSU now.

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California