RE: How to display Chinese characteres ?

From: Marco Cimarosti (marco.cimarosti@europe.com)
Date: Tue May 30 2000 - 06:19:45 EDT

Nicolas Toussaint wrote:
> Hi, I'm working for BULL FRANCE, and I must convert SMS to
> unicode.
> We want to export our systems to China, but wich way can I use
> in order to display Chinese characteres on my screen (with a
> french environment), because when I try I see a square.
> I'm waiting for more explain, thanks

Too generic: you should describe clearly your software environment. Operating system? Version? Principal software pieces in the game (database engines, GUI software, web browsers, word processors, etc.)?

Once these things are known, someone on this list certainly knows the status of Unicode support on your system.

If you discover that you do have Unicode support, the reason why you see squares in place of Chinese characters is probably that you don't have a Chinese font. (The fact that a font "supports Unicode" does not necessarily mean that it contains "glyphs" for any Unicode character).

In the case that you discover that Unicode is not supported on your platform, this is not the end of the story: there are many older national character sets from the Chinese speaking countries that can be used, and it is not too difficult to convert text from/to Unicode to/from other standards.

_ Marco
FREE Personalized Email at Mail.com