Re: Pictograms

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Tue Jun 13 2000 - 18:26:39 EDT

11-Digit Boy suggested:

> Why not include pictograms in Unicode; we've billions of spaces free, right?

Wrong. We have 0 .. 0x10FFFF available for the encoding space, and of that
about 924,000 positions are standardizable, taking into account what is already
encoded and what is reserved for private use.

But the bigger problem is that the Unicode Standard is intended for characters
that people actually plan to implement in text engines -- and people expect
support from the operating systems. Unicode cannot be treated as a gigantic
catalogue of any cutesy list of thingums that people come up with without
severely undermining its usability as the universal basis for text
representation.

--Ken Whistler, 21-(binary)Digit Boy