Re: Major site in unicode?

From: Michael \(michka\) Kaplan (michka@trigeminal.com)
Date: Sat Sep 30 2000 - 18:16:17 EDT

From: "George Zeigler" <genz1968@mtu-net.ru>

> When? 5 years from now? As for using Unicode without realizing it,
what
> do you mean? If a Russian's browser is set to CP1251, what happens if the
site
> is in Unicode? At present he gets garbage. I've tried the setting that
> automatically changes to the character set of the page. Doesn't work very
> well. I think the character set indication gets left out in many sites.

What browser are you referring to? Even with NS 4.x and its limitations,
there are really not very many browsers around these days that do not at
least partially respect the page's OWN specifications for the charset to
use.

> I don't disagree with this. It's just at present moment, Netscape
> and Explorer don't seem ready. What would really be needed is the
> browser automatically detects the site as being in Unicode, and switches
to that
> character set. Then sites could switch over without worry. That is not
the
> case at the moment. So the user has to change the character set himself.

Actually, if your page specifies the charset, I think you will find that it
can work quite well.

michka

a new book on internationalization in VB at
http://www.i18nWithVB.com/