RE: Unicode site

From: Chris Wendt (christw@microsoft.com)
Date: Tue Oct 03 2000 - 18:47:16 EDT

From: George Zeigler [mailto:genz1968@mtu-net.ru]
> I looked at the source code for http://calendar.msn.com
>and found
>charset=iso-8859-1

OK, I lied: UTF-8 only after you pass the login screen and if you use
Internet Explorer 4 or later or Navigator later than 4.5. Has the nice
effect that you can manage your appointments in Russian or any other
language covered by Unicode and use any UI language Calendar offers to look
at them.

>I went to the chinese page for the following site and looked at the source
code.
>http://search.msn.com/worldwide.asp
>CONTENT="text/html; CHARSET=big5

>Maybe the data in the database is unicode, but the displayed html is not.

Exactly. This was an example for a site that doesn't generate all it's pages
in Unicode despite the fact that all internal data is in Unicode.