RE: Unicode complaints

From: Roozbeh Pournader (roozbeh@sharif.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 15 2001 - 16:17:49 EST

On Thu, 15 Mar 2001, Jonathan Rosenne wrote:

> There is a certain amount of dissatisfaction with Unicode bidi among Hebrew
> users in Israel. Fortunately for Unicode, the general public calls the Unicode
> bidi algorithm "Microsoft Hebrew" and blame them.

The problem you mention, is because the Unicode bidi is used for data
entry, which I believe should not be. It will be hard for plain bidi users
to understand and work with. It should only get used as a display
algorithm, in my opponion, as specified in the spec. And that is
reasonable, I believe.

Implementors who use that to simplify implementing bidi data entry for
themselves are to blame, which are almost everyone in the global market.

--roozbeh