RE: The perfect solution for the UTF-8/16 discussion

From: Carl W. Brown (cbrown@xnetinc.com)
Date: Tue Jun 26 2001 - 16:57:47 EDT

Markus,

I think that big-endian UTF-32 is the only way to go. The solution to ASCII
vs. EBCIDC would go away if we got all of the hardware to support Unicode
natively. We could forget about bytes and make the 32bit word the least
addressable amount of memory.

utf-64 would only be used for vanity characters. Sort of like the star
registry. utf-64 would consist of 0xFFFFFFFF followed by the 64-bit number
as 2 32 bit numbers. Implementing utf-64 would be only for the vain and not
part of any known or imaginable OS.

Carl