Re: Shavian (was: Re: UTF-17)

From: Michael \(michka\) Kaplan (michka@trigeminal.com)
Date: Wed Jul 04 2001 - 15:38:01 EDT

From: "Richard Cook" <rscook@socrates.berkeley.edu>

> now, I know of other phonemic alphabets for English ... e.g., I think
> Ben Franklin invented one, ... and I have one of my own. Are any of
> these slated for encoding too?

Fictional scripts have been, are, and will likely continue to be a constant
source of contention for both Unicode and 10646 for years to come.

I would welcome evidence that there are in fact supplementary character
fonts that will be produced, and of course evidence that the "user
community" would actually have the software needed to use these fonts or
input methods to type the characters? Of course the bonus would be having
Microsoft and IBM support the conversion of legacy data. My heart palpitates
at seeing that build of ICU!

As for whether your script would be encoded, where it ends up vis-a-vis the
"potetial" roadmap is more a side effect of who you know than anything else.
:-)

MichKa

Michael Kaplan
Trigeminal Software, Inc.