Re: Shavian

From: Michael Everson (everson@indigo.ie)
Date: Thu Jul 05 2001 - 03:40:37 EDT

At 12:38 -0700 2001-07-04, Michael \(michka\) Kaplan wrote:

>Fictional scripts have been, are, and will likely continue to be a constant
>source of contention for both Unicode and 10646 for years to come.

Klingon is such a script, but didn't meet certain criteria and was
rejected. Aiha didn't meet them either (the only mention of it on the
web was the Roadmap!), so we took it out. Tengwar and Cirth meet the
criteria admirably -- far better than some of the historical scripts
like Carian.

There aren't any other "fictional" scripts roadmapped, except Sarati,
grandmother of Tengwar, which waits in the wings at present.

So what is the "source of contention"?

>I would welcome evidence that there are in fact supplementary character
>fonts that will be produced, and of course evidence that the "user
>community" would actually have the software needed to use these fonts or
>input methods to type the characters?

Fonts for Shavian and Deseret exist. Input methods exist at least for Deseret.

>Of course the bonus would be having
>Microsoft and IBM support the conversion of legacy data. My heart palpitates
>at seeing that build of ICU!

You might say the same for Gothic or Phoenician.

>As for whether your script would be encoded, where it ends up vis-a-vis the
>"potetial" roadmap is more a side effect of who you know than anything else.
>:-)

I don't think that's really fair. (Yes, I see the smiley.) What,
Michka, is on the Roadmap that you think oughtn't be there? What
scripts were proposed that didn't get in because the Ad-Hoc wasn't,
ah, properly motivated? :-) :-)

--
Michael Everson