Re: Shavian

From: DougEwell2@cs.com
Date: Fri Jul 06 2001 - 11:09:49 EDT

In a message dated 2001-07-06 3:23:51 Pacific Daylight Time,
everson@indigo.ie writes:

> The folks at DIN were wrong about Deseret, in my opinion. It seems to
> me that they did not know what Deseret was. Whether it had a long
> life is irrelevant. That script is of cultural importance to a rather
> sizeable community of people, and, is of interest to students of
> writing systems, English phonology, and the history of Mormonism.

Indeed, it appeared as the sole script on a beautiful $5 gold coin issued in
1860 by a private mint in Salt Lake City that was owned and operated by
Brigham Young. The coin is listed in the respected "Guide Book of U.S.
Coins," along with earlier Mormon gold pieces that were issued before the
invention of the Deseret alphabet.

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California