Re: Arial Unicode MS and Code2000

From: Adarsh (adarsh@cmcltd.com)
Date: Fri Jul 06 2001 - 04:55:12 EDT

Rajesh ChandrakarWrote:

> I am new user of this forum and I am exploring Unicode and it's
> application part with bibliographic databases. Right now, I have
> explored the use of Arial Unicode MS font with Netscape browser. Now my
> problem is, our centre has developed the Library housekeeping software
> on Power Builder and in back end MS Sql Server. we want to use this
> Arial Unicode MS/ Code2000 with this software for Multilingual database
> creation for Indian languages. How it can be done, is there any solution
> for it? If yes, please suggest.

        Rajesh I havent worked on MS sql server or power builder, but i am
working on displaying Indian languages in java and html,xml using
ArialUnicodeMS and code2000.
With ArialUnicodeMS all the characters for indian languages are not given
and even rendering characters has become a problem.Actually i hope u know
that for devanagari the range is from 0901-096f but all the characters has
not been covered in this range and unicode people has left a range from
e000-fe89 for private use. In this Range code2000 people has inserted all
the characters u need in hindi and that would be better to use if u need all
the characters.
Even if u consider rendering characters in telugu its a problem rendering
is not at all handled by ArialUnicodems and code2001 performs better in this
aspect.
            Best Regards
            Adarsh G.