Re: Arial Unicode MS and Code2000

From: James Kass (jameskass@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Fri Jul 06 2001 - 06:30:36 EDT

Adarsh wrote:

> With ArialUnicodeMS all the characters for indian languages are not given
> and even rendering characters has become a problem.Actually i hope u know
> that for devanagari the range is from 0901-096f but all the characters has
> not been covered in this range and unicode people has left a range from
> e000-fe89 for private use. In this Range code2000 people has inserted all
> the characters u need in hindi and that would be better to use if u need all
> the characters.

Using the Private Use Area for special characters is not
a standard solution, though. When the operating system
combined with the font(s) properly display correctly
encoded text, it is a beautiful thing, indeed.

Private Use Area is a "kludge", or work-around. It is intended
for people with older systems who can't otherwise display
required characters. The technologies are still evolving along
with the Standard.

The Devanagari characters in the Private Use Area of Code2000
are encoded using the scheme of Mark Leisher, who also has
a PERL script for converting material from the non-Unicode
font "Naidunia" into Unicode and vice-versa, as well as much
other useful material. http://crl.nmsu.edu/~mleisher/

When the Private Use Area is used, there will be problems. One
problem I've seen is that some matras need to be re-ordered by
the system to display correctly. The system here can't reorder
matras around Private Use Area characters. So, you have to make
yet another work-around and encode parts of your text "visually".

Another problem has to do with searching/indexing. Search/index
applications are "broken" by non-Standard encodings.

Finally, when the technology fully supports the standard, there
will be all that data which will need to be corrected.

> Even if u consider rendering characters in telugu its a problem rendering
> is not at all handled by ArialUnicodems and code2001 performs better in this
> aspect.

Thank you. I hope to complete the Telugu portion in Code2000 soon.

Best regards,

James Kass.