Re: More about SCSU (was: Re: A UTF-8 based News Service)

From: DougEwell2@cs.com
Date: Fri Jul 13 2001 - 03:01:10 EDT

In a message dated 2001-07-12 22:55:09 Pacific Daylight Time,
yves@realnames.com writes:

>> SCSU is also registered as an IANA charset, although you are
>> unlikely to find
>> raw SCSU text on the Internet, due to its use of control
>> characters (bytes below 0x20).
>
> And what browser supports SCSU, and what it that browser's reach in term of
> population? Because that's usually what matters to people that publish on
> the Internet.

None as far as I know, which sort of destroys the whole plan. It would sure
be nice if MSIE and Navigator started "quietly" supporting SCSU, in the same
way that they "quietly" (to the average user) began supporting UTF-8.

Unfortunately, you don't hear much about SCSU, and in particular the Unicode
Consortium doesn't really seem to promote it much (although they may be
trying to avoid the "too many UTF's" syndrome).

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California