Re: Is there Unicode mail out there?

From: Tex Texin (texin@progress.com)
Date: Fri Jul 20 2001 - 10:43:06 EDT

John,
ok and thanks. I wasn't looking at the "may" though, I was looking
at the "must".

Maybe I am not parsing this sentence right. To me it says:

(must, for compatibility, be escaped using ">" )

or

(a character reference when it appears in the string "]]>" in
content, when that string is not marking the end of a CDATA
section.)

So it must not be an NCR, EXCEPT in the seemingly rare case where
the string "]]>" appears in content AND that string is not being
used to indicate the end of a CDATA section.

How is that supposed to be read?

tex

John Cowan wrote:

> Tex Texin scripsit:
>
> > Which seemed to me to rule out the NCR for > in situations other
> > than "]]>" for compatibility reasons.
> >
> > "If they are needed elsewhere, they must be escaped using either
> > numeric character references or the strings "&" and "<"
> > respectively. The right angle bracket (>) may be represented using
> > the string ">", and must, for compatibility, be escaped using
> > ">" or a character reference when it appears in the string "]]>"
> > in content, when that string is not marking the end of a CDATA
> > section."
>
> Naah. Just because it says "may" doesn't mean anything: what "may" be
> done, also "may" be not done. You may use a numeric character
> reference for any legal character.
>
> --
> John Cowan cowan@ccil.org
> One art/there is/no less/no more/All things/to do/with sparks/galore
> --Douglas Hofstadter

Tex Texin                      Director, International Business
mailto:Texin@Progress.com      +1-781-280-4271
Fax:+1-781-280-4655
the Progress Company           14 Oak Park, Bedford, MA 01730