Re: Hindi characters for transcribing the sound "e"

From: Aman Chawla (creativezeal@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Jan 14 2002 - 17:14:16 EST

The Demo doesn't seem to be particularly reliable. For instance, the following English words, all have the same vowel sound: red, said, dead, led, shed, fed. However, the Demo gave the following Latin-Devanagari outputs: रॆद् , सैद् , दॆअद् , लॆद् , शॆद् , फ़ॆद्

First of all the ending 'd' sound in all the English words is ड् and not द् as given by the demo. Secondly, though 'said' and 'red' have the same vowel sound (not character, but sound), the demo gave two different Hindi diacritics. Hindi is phonetic and so each diacritic has one and only one sound.

I am looking for transscription (by sound) of the "e" sound in bed, red, get etc. into a Hindi character.