Re: Re[2]: Month names (was: Re: Standard Conventions and euro)

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Mon Mar 04 2002 - 02:56:41 EST

Здравствуйте Сергей,

Serge Nesterovitch <felix@bst.ru> wrote:

> DE> In the Hebrew calendar, only Shabbat (Saturday) has a name; the
rest of
> DE> the days are numbered. In Russian and Portuguese, most of the day
names
> DE> are numeric.
> It's wrong information.
> In Russian NO one days of week name is numeric.
> 3 of it's names are based on the numbers,
> but vtornik =/= vtoroi
> chetverg =/= chetveryi
> pyatnitsa =/= pyatyi
> Using numbers of a days where names must be used is impossible.

The word "numeric" was intended to convey that some day names are based
on numbers instead of, say, Norse gods. The Russian derivation of
certain day names from numbers is not nearly as transparent as the
Portuguese "segunda-feira." Perhaps I should have made that
distinction.

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California