Re: Synthetic scripts

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Sun Mar 17 2002 - 15:01:24 EST

John, Stefan, y Mikka-Markus escribieron:

>>> Can you prove that this doesn't apply to any of the scripts already
in
>>> the Standard? No, you can't, as it is not known under which
>>> circumstances Latin, Greek, Kanji, etc., were created.
>>
>> Come, come. It is perfectly clear that Latin script was designed to
>> represent Latin, Greek script to represent Greek, and Kanji to
represent
>> Old Chinese.
>
> Prove it!
> (And prove that those languages weren't designed for some kind of
> litterature or similar...)

Not necessary. I consider my point well proven, that the distinction
between "real" and "artificial" scripts is at best controversial, and
possibly non-existent.

Given that, plus the fact that several scripts which could plausibly be
called "artificial" are already in Unicode, in both the BMP and the SMP,
I would suggest that it would be neither advisable nor possible to
banish so-called "artificial" or "synthetic" scripts to their own plane,
as William Overington suggested.

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California