RE: how can I write an arabic square root

From: Marco Cimarosti (marco.cimarosti@essetre.it)
Date: Wed Mar 27 2002 - 05:27:57 EST

Munzir Taha wrote (privately):
> Thanks, what I can understand now is that it's practically
> impossible to
> insert the Arabic sqrt symbol, at least up to today, isn't it?

(Sorry for sending these private message back to the Unicode Mailing List,
but people there may have more information about Arabic fonts. Your original
question was about encoding, but fonts are a distinct issue.)

Personally, I don't know a proper font for Windows. That does not mean that
it doesn't exist: as I don't speak any language written in Arabic alphabet,
I know just a few Arabic fonts.

> Also, practically-speaking characters which have the mirror
> property can't be mirrored up to now. Is it like this?

No: common characters, such as parentheses or double quotes are supported
even on my system. So, the mechanism is already in place on many systems.

The problem is now just finding a Arabic font which also handles
mathematical symbols properly. You could try seeking such a font on these
sites:

- http://www.microsoft.com/typography (about OpenType smart fonts);

- http://fonts.apple.com (about ATSUI fonts, Apple's smart fonts).

Moreover, depending on what you need to do, there are temporary ways of
obtaining the proper glyph. E.g., you can draw your own font containing just
that sign, or you could insert a bitmap in your text.

By the way, mathematics requires very complex typographical capabilities
which are only handled by specific software. E.g., the square root symbol
normally extends over the value. E.g.:
        ______
        |/ 15+10 = 5 (Western style)
          ______
      5 = 10+15 \| (Arabic style)

Similar layouts can only be achieved by specialized math packages. Every
package handles these things in its own way, and standardization is still at
the very beginning (for Unicode mathematics, see
<http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr25/>: "Proposed Draft - PDUTR #25: Unicode
Support for Mathematics").

Good luck.
Marco