Re: CJK Unified Ideographs Extension B

From: Thomas Chan (tc31@cornell.edu)
Date: Mon May 13 2002 - 12:03:10 EDT

On Mon, 13 May 2002, William Overington wrote:

> I have been looking at the characters in the CJK Unified Ideographs
> Extension B document. These are the characters from U+020000 through to
> U+02A6DF, which, as I understand it, are the rarer CJK characters.
> I wonder if any of the people who read this list who understand the
> languages involved might please like to say what any one or two of these
> characters, of their choice, mean please, just as a matter of general
> cultural interest for people who see these characters in the Unicode
> specification and, though not themselves knowledgeable of the languages,
> find the characters interesting for their artistry and history.

Culturally, the majority of them are really not that interesting. Here's
ten random ones from Plane 2:

U+224D3 is an ancient form of U+4F5C, zuo4 'to make'.
U+22984 comes from a Vietnamese source--I don't have any info on it.
U+230C4 is xin1; meaning unknown.
U+24ECB is an erroneous form of U+765F, bie3 'shrivelled'.
U+25BF6 is ku3, the name of a kind of bamboo.
U+27028 is lie4 'movement of grass'.
U+28966 is qi2 'sharp'.
U+294DF is kan3, something having to do with a distorted or ugly head/face
  (I don't quite understand its definition.)
U+2A1FD is a variant form of U+6B4E, tan4 'to sigh'.
U+2A606 is xiu1; meaning unknown.

Thomas Chan
tc31@cornell.edu