RE: Combining half rings?

From: Marco Cimarosti (marco.cimarosti@essetre.it)
Date: Thu May 16 2002 - 04:10:25 EDT

John Hudson wrote:
> I have received a glyph request in the repertoire for a new
> font for an IPA iota (U+0269) with a right half ring
> *above* it. [...]
> Does anyone else have experience that would support the
> need for such characters?

A very similar sign (i with right half ring) is used in old egyptological
works.

I wonder whether it could be considered a glyph variation of one of these:

        0313 COMBINING COMMA ABOVE
        0343 COMBINING GREEK KORONIS

The reason for the distinctive "half ring" shape could be that the diacritic
sign was often handwritten with a pen over typeset or typewritten text.

_ Marco