Combining half rings?

From: John Hudson (
Date: Wed May 15 2002 - 18:51:30 EDT

I have received a glyph request in the repertoire for a new font for an IPA
iota (U+0269) with a right half ring *above* it. The only half rings I can
find in the standard are spacing modifier letters (U+02BE and U+02BF). My
correspondents (Biblical scholars) have been using PUA codepoints for
combining half rings, but since their need seems well established I'm
wondering if it might be worthwhile preparing a proposal for combining half
rings? Does anyone else have experience that would support the need for
such characters?

John Hudson

Tiro Typeworks
Vancouver, BC

It would be nice if liturgical changes could only be made official by
having them hand-written on vellum, in Latin, and delivered by
sandalled friars travelling on foot. Then there would only be a handful
of changes in any one lifetime, and I could probably keep up with them.
                                        - Tom, quoted on Between Naps