Re: Supporting the Unicode Project

From: Curtis Clark (jcclark@mockfont.com)
Date: Thu Dec 04 2003 - 12:50:55 EST

    on 2003-12-04 09:43 Edward H. Trager wrote:
    > Actually, I am a bioinformatics programmer, and to date I have given away
    > my programs away for free. The main reason I give them away for
    > free is fairly simple: the market of genetics researchers
    > potentially interested in buying them is too small,
    > so I would not make that much money trying to sell them.

    To muddy the waters further, vendors who make gel analysis software that
    is involved in generating the basic data of genomics and proteomics
    charge huge amounts of money, that labs regularly pay, because some
    types (and venues) of biomedical research are well-funded. The issue of
    software cost is a complex one, involving both business and non-business
    decisions (and especially the latter in one-person operations).

    Mockingbird Font Works                  http://www.mockfont.com/