Re: IDN problem.... :(

From: Adam Twardoch (list.adam@twardoch.com)
Date: Fri Feb 11 2005 - 09:31:56 CST

    From: "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk@qaya.org>
    > Perhaps a better approach would be for browsers, as a default option which
    > can be switched off, to warn users about mixed script domain names (or
    > even any non-ASCII domain names) with a dialogue box, something like:
    > "Domain name paypal.com contains non-Latin character(s). This may be a
    > security risk. Are you sure you want to go to this domain? OK Cancel".

    And this warning would appear every time for a Chinese or Arabic user?
    (Unless he figures out that he/she needs to goes to some options and switch
    it off?)

    This is so anti-i18n. The idea behind IDN was to stop the hegemony of the
    Latin script in domain names. Solutions that prevent the spoofs should not
    again start building up the "our people vs. foreign people" way of thinking.

    Adam