Re: IDN problem.... :(

From: Dean Snyder (dean.snyder@jhu.edu)
Date: Fri Feb 11 2005 - 10:25:02 CST

    Adam Twardoch wrote at 4:31 PM on Friday, February 11, 2005:

    >This is so anti-i18n. The idea behind IDN was to stop the hegemony of the
    >Latin script in domain names. Solutions that prevent the spoofs should not
    >again start building up the "our people vs. foreign people" way of thinking.

    I agree completely, that's why I suggested 2 things:

    * disallow mixed script domain names
    * disallow single script domain names visually similar to names in other
    scripts

    Neither of these rules favors any particular script (discounting the head
    start ASCII domain names have). So whichever script system is first used
    for the domain name that looks like "www.givemeyourcreditcardnumber.com"
    will have an exclusive lock on that domain name and ANY OTHERS THAT LOOK
    LIKE IT are disallowed. This is analogous to trademark law. And in
    response to an earlier post - obviously this would have to be a human-
    maintained list of look-alike characters.

    Respectfully,

    Dean A. Snyder

    Assistant Research Scholar
    Manager, Digital Hammurabi Project