Re: N3412: Last Resort Pictures

From: Dominikus Scherkl (lyratelle@gmx.de)
Date: Wed Apr 02 2008 - 15:08:14 CST

    Michael Everson schrieb:
    >> Nice first of April post.
    >
    > Thank you.

    > I did think that I should change
    >
    > E02F5 LR-F0000-FFFFF SUPPLEMENTARY PRIVATE USE AREA-A
    > E02F5 LR-F0000-FFFFD SUPPLEMENTARY PRIVATE USE AREA-A
    > Correct?
    Ah, I just found this the moment after I pressed the "send" button...

    Same error with "LR-100000-10FFFF SUPPLEMENTARY PRIVATE USE AREA-B"
    instead of "LR-100000-10FFFD SUPPLEMENTARY PRIVATE USE AREA-B".

    By the way, why do the three private use areas have so very different
    glyphs (one letter-like and two SF symbols)?
    I would rather suggest three different aliens ;-)

    And the glyph for unpaired private use surrogate resambles the glyph
    of the first private use area, but as a surrogate it can be only part
    of the supplemental areas.

    >> - I still think the Glyph "A" for latin is a very bad choice,
    >> as this very same glyph is also in cyrillic and greek used.
    >> Why not some glyph that is unique to latin, and at the same
    >> time represents the name of the script quite well, like the
    >> "L" glyph?
    >
    > I can check to see whether there are other letters found in all of the
    > Latin blocks, though lower-case "l" is not so distinctive.
    Yes, but as there is no casing for the script-representative glyph,
    the form of lowercase L doesn't matter, I think.

    > And there are "L"s borrowed into Cyrillic (not yet encoded).
    Ok, but "borrowed" is something different than the very first all
    native letter in the alphabet. Borrowing is like a Homage to the
    script where it originates, thus further pointing out how good it
    represents that script (also another argument against "A" for latin,
    as it is borrwed from greek alpha).

    Best regards,

    --
    Dominikus Scherkl