Re: Character list for European and Canadian use in the revised keyboard standard ISO/IEC 9995-3, supplementing MES-1

From: Asmus Freytag (asmusf@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Thu Sep 18 2008 - 13:03:54 CDT

    On 9/18/2008 9:50 AM, Leo Broukhis wrote:
    > On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 9:08 AM, Asmus Freytag <asmusf@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

    >>> In some countries,
    >>> U+2A7D LESS-THAN OR SLANTED EQUAL TO and
    >>> U+2A7E GREATER-THAN OR SLANTED EQUAL TO are used instead.
    >>> If nothing else, using "combining macron below" for both is
    >>> counterintuitive.
    >>>

    >> (I tend to doubt that the difference between slanted and non-slanted use in
    >> the example here is a true "local convention" - at least I've not seen hard
    >> evidence to that effect, would be interesting to get some, if it existed).
    >>

    > I've never seen a non-slanted variant in a Russian book. The line
    > printers with the GOST 10859 character set also had the slanted
    > variants.

    Thanks. I just checked some books I have and found that they use the
    forms with full equals sign rather than single horizontal line. Also,
    any of these is probably rather rare compare to simple < and > so I
    question again the desire to handle these at the keyboard level. Typing
    < followed by = and having an IME sort out the desired style (with
    on-screen correction) is going to be a lot more user-friendly than using
    arcane key-combinations.

    A./

    PS: Russian mathematicians, publishing in international mathematical
    journals will have to follow whatever the house style is of that
    journal, which makes locale-based solutions suspect in my view.