Re: Obsolete characters

From: Andrew West (andrewcwest@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Jan 16 2009 - 04:43:23 CST

    2009/1/16 Mark Davis <mark@macchiato.com>:

    > I have an UTC action to update UTR#39, which provides for sets of characters
    > that people may want to exclude from identifiers. It has an 'archaic'
    > category, and I need to update the contents.

    I'm not quite sure why archaic scripts and archaic characters should
    be excluded from identifiers. Many archaic scripts (e.g. Runic) and
    archaic/obsolete characters (e.g. long s) have widespread current
    usage, and I can envisage users wanting to make use of them in
    identifiers.

    > Independently, in doing a character picker
    > (http://www.macchiato.com/unicode/char-picker), we found it useful to put
    > the archaic/obsolete characters in separate sections.

    It's probably just me, but I found this to be one of the least helpful
    features of the character picker when I tried it out. I personally
    find it much more helpful to have all characters of the same script in
    the same place, regardless of whether they are in common current usage
    or not.

    Andrew