Latin-script keyboard layout (was RE: Quick Question About Korean Input Methods)

From: Karl Pentzlin (karl-pentzlin@acssoft.de)
Date: Sun Jan 03 2010 - 15:01:08 CST

    Am Sonntag, 3. Januar 2010 um 20:53 schrieb Doug Ewell:

    DE> All of which reminds me that I'm *still* waiting for a good Latin-script
    DE> keyboard layout

    ISO/IEC SC35/WG1 already supplies the means for such (while not
    standardizing specific layouts; this is left to the national bodies) and is
    heavily working on improvements.

    DE> that:
    DE> 1. is based on the U.S. English layout and does not redefine any of its
    DE> Level 1 or 2 keystrokes
    DE> 2. supports as many characters as possible, in an intuitive way

    Intuitivity is in the eye of the beholder.

    For people not used to the U.S. English layout, this layout is by no
    means intuitive. Thus, your requirements 1. and 2. contradict for most
    people in the world. A realistic requirement, however, is:
    ... in a way which can be experienced as intuitive when learned and
        used for some time.

    DE> 3. can be implemented with existing 101-key hardware (no new physical
    DE> keys)

    Please have a look at:
    http://www.open-std.org/JTC1/SC35/WG1/docs/info1-9995-3.pdf
    The revision of ISO/IEC 9995-3 is now in the FDIS ballot stage and thus stable.
    It tries to be a compromise between required compatibility to older standards
    and being intuitive as far as possible for an audience as large as possible.

    DE> 4. can be implemented using Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator (no more
    DE> than 4 shift states; Ctrl+char is not useful)

    "4 shift states" is not compatible with the group/level concept of
    ISO/IEC 9995 which has successful implementations in several keyboard
    standards in different countries. There are three levels which usually
    are recognized as shift states (the third one is commonly invoked by
    the AltGr key, if one is present, or by Ctrl+Alt), and usually one or
    two groups.
    Ctrl+char is not used anyway in this concept.

    Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator (V1.4) is definitely an outdated tool.

    - Karl